messenger (plural messengers)
- One who brings messages.
- (nautical) A light line with which a heavier line may be hauled e.g. from the deck of a ship to the pier.
- The supporting member of an aerial cable (electric power or telephone or data).
- (legal) A person appointed to perform certain ministerial duties under bankrupt and insolvent laws, such as to take charge of the estate of the bankrupt or insolvent.
- (computing) An instant messenger program.
- A forerunner.
- A light scudding cloud preceding a storm.
- A piece of paper, etc., blown up a string to a kite.
- (oceanography) A weight dropped down a line to close a Nansen bottle.
- The secretary bird.
- (Scotland) A messenger-at-arms.
- French: messager
- German: Kurier, Bote, Botschafter
- Italian: messaggero, corriere
- Portuguese: mensageiro
- Russian: посла́нник
- Spanish: mensajero
messenger (messengers, present participle messengering; past and past participle messengered)
- (transitive) To send something by messenger.
- I'll messenger over the signed documents.
- Surname for a messenger.