- (history) The mother (founding) polis (city state) of a colony, especially in the Hellenistic world.
- A large, busy city, especially as the main city in an area or country or as distinguished from surrounding rural areas.
- (canon law) The see of a metropolitan archbishop, ranking above its suffragan diocesan bishops.
- (ecology) A generic focus in the distribution of plants or animals.
- French: métropole
- German: Metropole, Weltstadt
- Portuguese: metrópole
- Russian: мегапо́лис
- Spanish: urbe, metrópolis
- A city/county seat in Massac County, Illinois.
- A ghost town in Elko County, Nevada.
- a classical city site in Anatolia (Turkey).