mother tongue (plural mother tongues)
- The language one first learned; the language one grew up with; one's native language.
- His mother tongue is a relatively conservative dialect of Aramaic.
- Synonyms: first language, mother language, native language, native tongue, L1
- The language spoken by one’s ancestors.
- The language spoken by one's mother, when it differs from that spoken by one's father.
- Informal speech, as opposed to educated language.
- French: langue maternelle
- German: Muttersprache, Erstsprache
- Italian: madrelingua
- Portuguese: língua materna, língua nativa
- Russian: родно́й язы́к
- Spanish: lengua materna, lengua nativa