- (archaic) No.
- or even, or more like, or should I say. Introduces a stronger and more appropriate expression than the preceding one.
- His face was dirty, nay, filthy.
- French: ou plutôt, voire
- German: oder sogar
- Italian: anzi, o per meglio dire
- Portuguese: ou mesmo
- Russian: бо́лее того (bóleje togó), да́же
nay (plural nays)
- A vote against.
- I vote nay, even though the motion is popular, because I would rather be right than popular.
- A person who voted against.
- The vote is 4 in favor and 20 opposed; the nays have it.
- (archaic) A denial; a refusal.
- (A vote against) yea
nay (nays, present participle naying; past and past participle nayed)
- (obsolete) To refuse.
nay (not comparable)
- (obsolete) Nary.
- Abbreviation of Nayarit#English|Nayarit, a state of Mexico.