- The favoring of relatives or personal friends because of their relationship rather than because of their abilities.
- Antonyms: meritocracy, merit system
- cot en
- Nepotism can get you very far in the world if you've got the right connections.
- 1989, Report on Business Magazine (volume 6, issues 1-6, page 100)
- Now retailers even demand deslotting or failure fees, a penalty for trial products that fail to meet their sales objectives. The struggle over display space heavily favors the incumbents and encourages what might be called brand nepotism.
- French: népotisme, copinage
- German: Nepotismus, Vetternwirtschaft
- Italian: nepotismo
- Portuguese: nepotismo
- Russian: непоти́зм
- Spanish: nepotismo