neutralize (neutralizes, present participle neutralizing; past and past participle neutralized)
- (transitive) To make even, inactive or ineffective.
- The antidote neutralised the toxin.
- (transitive) To make (a territory, etc.) politically neutral.
- 1965, United States. Congress. Senate, Hearings (volume 1, page 77)
- (transitive, chemistry) To make (an acidic or alkaline substance) chemically neutral.
- All the powers involved are committed not only to stay out of a given territory, but also to reenter it if any one of them violates the independence of the neutralized country.
- (transitive, military, euphemism) To kill.
- French: neutraliser
- German: neutralisieren
- Italian: neutralizzare
- Portuguese: neutralizar
- Russian: нейтрализова́ть
- Spanish: neutralizar