- (countable) A publication, usually published daily or weekly and usually printed on cheap, low-quality paper, containing news and other articles.
- Synonyms: daily, paper, rag
- (uncountable, countable) A quantity of or one of the types of paper on which newspapers are printed.
- Synonyms: newsprint
- French: journal
- German: Zeitung
- Italian: giornale, quotidiano
- Portuguese: jornal
- Russian: газе́та
- Spanish: periódico, diario, rotativo
- French: papier journal
- German: Zeitungspapier
- Italian: carta da giornale
- Portuguese: papel de periódico, papel-jornal
- Russian: газе́тная бума́га
- Spanish: papel de periódico
newspaper (newspapers, present participle newspapering; past and past participle newspapered)
- (transitive) To cover with newspaper.
- She newspapered one end of the room before painting the bookcase.
- (intransitive, transitive) To engage in the business of journalism (usually used only in the gerund, newspapering)
- He newspapered his way through the South on the sports beat, avoiding dry towns.
- (transitive, obsolete) To harass in newspaper articles.
- He was newspapered out of public life.