- IPA: /ˈnɪkneɪm/
nickname (plural nicknames)
- A familiar, invented given name for a person or thing used instead of the actual name of the person or thing.
- A kind of byname that describes a person by a characteristic of that person.
- (familiar invented given name) handle, hypocoristic, moniker, nick, sobriquet, pet name
- (byname) antonomasia, byname, cognomen
- French: surnom
- German: Spitzname
- Italian: soprannome
- Portuguese: (Brazil) apelido, (Portugal) alcunha
- Russian: кли́чка
- Spanish: apodo, mote, sobrenombre, (Bolivia) chapa
- German: Beiname
nickname (nicknames, present participle nicknaming; past and past participle nicknamed)
- (transitive) To give a nickname to (a person or thing).
- French: surnommer
- Italian: soprannominare
- Portuguese: alcunhar
- Russian: прозыва́ть
- Spanish: apodar, motear