- IPA: /nɒnˈplʌs/
nonplus (plural nonpluses)
- A state of perplexity or bewilderment.
- 1603, Michel de Montaigne, chapter 46, in John Florio, transl., The Essayes, […], book I, printed at London: By Val[entine] Simmes for Edward Blount […], OCLC 946730821 ↗:
- altering Vaudemont, to Vallemontanus, and metamorphosing them, by suting them to the Græcian or Latin tongue, we know not what to make of them, and are often at a non-plus.
- Both of them are a perfect nonplus and baffle to all human understanding.
nonplus (nonplusses, present participle nonplussing; past and past participle nonplussed)Translations
- German: verwirren, verdutzen, verblüffen
- Portuguese: pasmar
- Russian: озадачивать
- Spanish: confundir, desconcertar, perplejar