- (British) IPA: /ə(ʊ)ˈbiːdɪəns/
- The quality of being obedient.
- Obedience is essential in any army.
- Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.
- 1918, Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Land That Time Forgot Chapter VIII
- Cautioning Nobs to silence, and he had learned many lessons in the value of obedience since we had entered Caspak, I slunk forward, taking advantage of whatever cover I could find...
- The collective body of persons subject to any particular authority.
- A written instruction from the superior of an order to those under him.
- Any official position under an abbot's jurisdiction.
- disobedience, defiance, rebellion (ignoring)
- violation (ignoring, especially rules)
- control, dominance (ruling)
- French: obéissance
- German: Gehorsam, Folgsamkeit, Gehorsamkeit
- Italian: obbedienza
- Portuguese: obediência
- Russian: послуша́ние
- Spanish: obediencia