- (RP) IPA: /ˈɒfɪsə/
- (weak vowel merger) IPA: /ˈɒfəsə/
- (America) IPA: /ˈɔfɪsɚ/
- (weak vowel merger) IPA: /ˈɔfəsɚ/
- (cot-caught, Canada) IPA: /ˈɑfɪsɚ/
- (dialectal, informal) IPA: /ˈɒfsə/
officer (plural officers)
One who has a position of authority in a hierarchical organization, especially in military, police or government organizations.
- A respectful term of address for an officer, especially a police officer.
One who holds a public office. An agent or servant imparted with the ability, to some degree, to act on initiative. (colloquial, military) A commissioned officer.
- French: fonctionnaire, officier
- German: Funktionär, Funktionärin
- Italian: funzionario
- Portuguese: oficial, comandante
- Russian: слу́жащий
- French: officier, officière
- German: Offizier, Offizierin
- Italian: ufficiale
- Portuguese: oficial
- Russian: офице́р
- Spanish: oficial
officer (officers, present participle officering; past and past participle officered)Synonyms Related terms