- IPA: /əˈpɹɛʃən/
- The exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner.
- Oh, by what plots, by what forswearings, betrayings, oppressions, imprisonments, tortures, poisonings, and under what reasons of state and politic subtilty, have these forenamed kings […] pulled the vengeance of God upon themselves […]
- The act of oppressing, or the state of being oppressed.
- The oppression of the poor by the aristocracy was one cause of the French Revolution.
- A feeling of being oppressed.
- Our oppression was lifted by the reappearance of the sun.
- French: oppression
- German: Unterdrückung
- Italian: oppressione
- Portuguese: opressão
- Russian: гнёт
- Spanish: opresión