out of the blue
- IPA: /aʊt ɒv ðə bluː/
- (idiomatic) unexpectedly; without warning or preparation
- After I hadn’t heard from her in six months, she called me out of the blue to meet for lunch.
- I really can't understand how something like this could simply pop up out of the blue.
- French: comme un cheveu sur la soupe like a hair in the soup, comme un chien dans un jeu de quilles like a dog in a bowling game
- German: aus heiterem Himmel from clear sky
- Italian: inaspettatamente, di punto in bianco all of a sudden, come un fulmine a ciel sereno like a thunder in a clear sky, dal nulla
- Portuguese: do nada out of nowhere, da cartola out of the top hat, à toa
- Spanish: de la nada, de repente, de sopetón