- Adjective and noun
overcast (plural overcasts)Adjective
- Covered with clouds; overshadowed; darkened; (meteorology) more than 90% covered by clouds.
- (figuratively) In a state of depression; gloomy; melancholy.
- French: nuageux, couvert
- German: bedeckt, bewölkt
- Italian: coperto, nuvoloso
- Portuguese: nublado
- Russian: о́блачный
- Russian: угрю́мый
overcast (overcasts, present participle overcasting; past and past participle overcast)
- (transitive, obsolete) To overthrow.
- (transitive) To cover with cloud; to overshadow; to darken.
- (transitive) To make gloomy; to depress.
- (intransitive, obsolete) To be or become cloudy.
- (transitive, obsolete) To transform.
- (transitive, bookbinding) To fasten (sheets) by overcast stitching or by folding one edge over another.
- Portuguese: nublar