- IPA: /pəˈsɪfɪk/
- Calm, peaceful.
- Synonyms: Thesaurus:calm
- Preferring peace by nature; avoiding violence.
- Synonyms: dovish, nonviolent
- Antonyms: bellicose, hawkish, martial, militant, violent
- 1822 May 28, [Walter Scott], chapter I, in The Fortunes of Nigel. [...] In Three Volumes, volume I, Edinburgh: Printed [by James Ballantyne and Co.] for Archibald Constable and Co.; London: Hurst, Robinson, and Co., OCLC 277973588 ↗, page 3 ↗:
- The long-continued hostilities which had for centuries divided the south and the north divisions of the Island of Britain, had been happily terminated by the succession of the pacific James I, to the English crown.
- French: pacifique
- German: ruhig, still
- Italian: pacifico
- Portuguese: pacífico, tranqüilo
- Spanish: pacífica
- The Pacific Ocean.
pacific (plural pacifics)Adjective
pacific (not comparable)
- Related to the Pacific Ocean.