- IPA: /ˈpæn.zi/
pansy (plural pansies)
- A cultivated flowering plant, derived by hybridization within species Viola tricolor.
- A deep purple colour, like that of the pansy.
- Any of various nymphalid butterflies of the genus Junonia. Also called arguses.
- (derogatory, colloquial, dated) A male homosexual, especially one who is effeminate.
- (derogatory, colloquial) A timid, weak man or boy; a wuss.
- (male homosexual) friend of Dorothy, omi-palone; see also Thesaurus:male homosexual
- (effeminate man) mama's boy, sissy; see also Thesaurus:effeminate man
- (timid man or boy) mama's boy, nancy boy, sissy; see also Thesaurus:milksop
- French: pensée
- German: Stiefmütterchen
- Italian: pansé
- Portuguese: amor-perfeito
- Russian: аню́тины гла́зки
- Spanish: pensamiento
- French: fiotte
- Italian: mammoletta, femminuccia, coniglio, merlo, pollo, smidollato, pappa molle, pappamolle, rammollito, fifone, codardo, cortigiano, mollusco, vigliacco, pusillanime, eunuco, debole, pisciasotto, cacasotto, pauroso, vile, checca, frocio, ricchione, finocchio
- Russian: хлюпик
pansy (not comparable)Related terms Translations
- Russian: фиоле́товый
pansy (pansies, present participle pansying; past and past participle pansied)
- (slang, intransitive, usually with "around" or "about") To mess about; to fail to get things done.