- IPA: /ˈpæɹi/
parry (parries, present participle parrying; past and past participle parried)
- To avoid, deflect, or ward off (an attack, a blow, an argument, etc.).
- French: parer
- German: parieren, abwehren
- Italian: evitare, scansare, sviare, deviare, schivare, parare
- Portuguese: parar
- Russian: пари́ровать
parry (plural parries)
- A defensive or deflective action; an act of parrying.
- (fencing) A simple defensive action designed to deflect an attack, performed with the forte of the blade.
- (combat sports and martial arts) A defensive move intended to change the direction of an incoming strike to make it miss its intended target, rather than block and absorb it; and typically performed with an open hand in a downward or sideways slapping motion.
- Italian: parata, deviazione