- (America) IPA: /ˈpɑɹ.sə.ˌmoʊ.ni/
- Great reluctance to spend money unnecessarily.
- Synonyms: stinginess, frugality, economy, Thesaurus:stingy, Thesaurus:frugal
- 1848, William Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair, Chapter 9:
- If mere parsimony could have made a man rich, Sir Pitt Crawley might have become very wealthy […]
- (by extension) The principle of using the fewest resources or explanations to solve a problem.
- French: parcimonie
- German: Sparsamkeit, Geiz, Knauserei, Pfennigfuchserei
- Portuguese: parcimónia, parcimônia
- Russian: бережли́вость
- Spanish: parsimonia