parting (plural partings)
- The act of parting or dividing; the state of being parted; division; separation.
- A farewell, the act of departing politely.
- And there were sudden partings,such as press / The life from out young hearts.
- 1900, L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Chapter 23
- But she hugged the soft, stuffed body of the Scarecrow in her arms instead of kissing his painted face, and found she was crying herself at this sorrowful parting from her loving comrades.
- (British) The dividing line formed by combing the hair in different directions; part (US)
- (founding) The surface of the sand of one section of a mould where it meets that of another section.
- (chemistry) The separation and determination of alloys; especially, the separation, as by acids, of gold from silver in the assay button.
- (geology) A joint or fissure, as in a coal seam.
- (nautical) The breaking, as of a cable, by violence.
- (mineralogy) Lamellar separation in a crystallized mineral, due to some other cause than cleavage, as to the presence of twinning lamellae.
- French: ligne de partage
- German: Scheitel, Haarscheitel, (centre, middle) Mittelscheitel, (side) Seitenscheitel
- Portuguese: risco, risco do cabelo
- Russian: пробо́р
- Spanish: raya del cabello, raya del pelo
- present participle of part#English|part