- IPA: /ˈpɛn.əns/
- A voluntary self-imposed punishment for a sinful act or wrongdoing. It may be intended to serve as reparation for the act.
- Quoth he, "The man hath penance done, / And penance more will do."
- A sacrament in some Christian churches.
- Any instrument of self-punishment.
- (obsolete) repentance
- (obsolete) pain; sorrow; suffering
- Joy or penance he feeleth none.
- French: pénitence
- German: Buße, Bußleistung, Bußübung, Bußwerk, Bußverfahren, Sühnung, Selbstkasteiung, Pönitenz
- Italian: penitenza
- Portuguese: penitência
- Russian: искупле́ние
- Spanish: penitencia
penance (penances, present participle penancing; past and past participle penanced)