pitfall (plural pitfalls)
- (figurative) A potential problem, hazard, or danger that is easily encountered but not immediately obvious.
- Synonyms: trap
- It's usually a simple task, but you should know the pitfalls before you attempt it yourself.
- (literal) A type of trap consisting of a concealed hole in the ground: victims fall into the hole and are unable to escape.
- (computing) An anti-pattern.
- Synonyms: anti-pattern, dark pattern
- French: écueil, piège
- German: Fallstrick
- Portuguese: cilada, armadilha
- Russian: лову́шка
- Spanish: obstáculo, trampa, asechanza
- French: trappe, chausse-trape
- German: Fallgrube, Fanggrube, Wildgrube
- Italian: trappola
- Portuguese: fojo
- Spanish: trampa