- IPA: /ˈpliːd/
- Past tense
plead (pleads, present participle pleading; past and past participle pleaded)
- (ambitransitive) To present (an argument or a plea), especially in a legal case.
- The defendant has decided to plead not guilty.
- (intransitive) To beg, beseech, or implore.
- He pleaded with me not to leave the house.
- (transitive) To offer by way of excuse.
- Not wishing to attend the banquet, I pleaded illness.
- (transitive) To discuss by arguments.
- French: plaider
- German: plädieren, bekennen (reflexive), berufen (reflexive, + auf), eintreten (+ für), aussprechen (reflexive, + für)
- Italian: dichiararsi (colpevole o noncolpevole)
- Portuguese: alegar
- Russian: защища́ть