- (British) IPA: /pəˈteɪ.təʊ/, [pʰə̥ˈtʰeɪtʰəʊ]
- (GA) enPR: pə-tāʹtō, IPA: /pəˈteɪ.toʊ/, [pʰə̥ˈtʰeɪɾoʊ], [pʰə̥ˈtʰeɪɾə]
potato (plural potatoes)
- A plant tuber, Solanum tuberosum, eaten as a starchy vegetable, particularly in the Americas and Europe.
- (informal, UK) A conspicuous hole in a sock or stocking
- (humorous) A camera that takes poor-quality pictures.
- (slang, offensive) A mentally handicapped person.
- (humorous, slang, computing) An underpowered computer or other device, especially when small in size.
- French: pomme de terre, patate (informal)
- German: Kartoffel, Erdapfel (Southern Germany), Grumbeere (Southwestern Germany), Erdbirne, Grundbirne, Bramburi (Austria)
- Italian: patata
- Portuguese: batata
- Russian: карто́фель
- Spanish: patata (Spain), papa (Latin America)