- Having, or capable of exerting power, potency or influence.
- c. 1591–1595, William Shakespeare, “The Tragedie of Romeo and Ivliet”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies: Published According to the True Originall Copies (First Folio), London: Printed by Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358 ↗, [Act II, scene iii]:
- The powerful grace that lies / In herbs, plants, stones, and their true qualities.
- (mining) Large; capacious; said of veins of ore.
- French: puissant
- German: mächtig
- Italian: potente
- Portuguese: poderoso, potente
- Russian: могу́щественный
- Spanish: poderoso
- (Southern US) Synonym of very#English|very