- (America, British) IPA: /pɹɪˈkluːd/, /pɹiːˈkluːd/
preclude (precludes, present participle precluding; past and past participle precluded)
- (transitive) Remove the possibility of; rule out; prevent or exclude; to make impossible.
- It has been raining for days, but that doesn’t preclude the possibility that the skies will clear by this afternoon!
- Israel's decision to ban fluoridation follows a vote to preclude the practice in Portland, Ore., and Wichita, Kan. It was also recently overturned in Hamilton, the fourth most populous city in New Zealand.
- French: exclure
- German: ausschließen, verhindern, unmöglich machen
- Italian: precludere
- Portuguese: excluir
- Russian: предотвращать
- Spanish: descartar, excluir, precluir (law)