preliminary (not comparable)
- In preparation for the main matter; initial, introductory, preparatory.
- Synonyms: initial, introductory, preparatory
- Antonyms: definitive, final
- These are just the preliminary results.
- 1945 August 17, George Orwell [pseudonym; Eric Arthur Blair], chapter 1, in Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, London: Secker & Warburg, OCLC 3655473 ↗:
- And then, after a few preliminary tries, the whole farm burst out into 'Beasts of England' in tremendous unison.
- French: préliminaire
- German: vorläufig, vorbereitend
- Italian: preliminare
- Portuguese: preliminar
- Russian: предвари́тельный
- Spanish: preliminar
preliminary (plural preliminaries)
- A preparation for a main matter; an introduction
- Any of a series of sports events that determine the finalists
- A relatively minor contest that precedes a major one, especially in boxing