- An act of prohibiting, forbidding, disallowing, or proscribing something.
- A law prohibiting the manufacture or sale of alcohol.
- A period of time when specific socially disapproved consumables are considered controlled substances.
- French: interdiction, prohibition
- German: Verbot
- Portuguese: proibição
- Russian: запре́т
- Spanish: prohibición
- (history) Any of several periods during which the manufacture, transportation, import, export, and sale of alcoholic beverages were restricted or illegal,
- (Islam) The 66th sura (chapter) of the Qur'an.