- (uncountable) The act of offering (an idea) for consideration.
- (countable) An idea or a plan offered.
- (countable, business settings) The terms of a transaction offered.
- (countable, US, politics) In some states, a proposed statute or constitutional amendment to be voted on by the electorate.
- (grammar) A complete sentence.
, The Popular Educator: a Complete Encyclopaedia of Elementary, Advanced, and Technical Education. New and Revised Edition. Volume I., p.98:
- Our English nouns remain unchanged, whether they form the subject or the object of a proposition.
- (countable, logic) The content of an assertion that may be taken as being true or false and is considered abstractly without reference to the linguistic sentence that constitutes the assertion; (Aristotelian logic) a predicate of a subject that is denied or affirmed and connected by a copula.
- “'Wiktionary is a good dictionary' is a proposition” is a proposition.
- (countable, mathematics) An assertion so formulated that it can be considered true or false.
- (countable, mathematics) An assertion which is provably true, but not important enough to be called a theorem.
- A statement of religious doctrine; an article of faith; creed.
- the propositions of Wyclif and Huss
- Some persons […] change their propositions according as their temporal necessities or advantages do turn.
- (poetry) The part of a poem in which the author states the subject or matter of it.
- (act of offering an idea for consideration) proposal, suggestion
- (idea or plan offered) proposal, suggestion
- (terms offered) proposal
- (content of an assertion) statement
- (proposed statute or constitutional amendment)
- French: proposition
- Italian: proposizione
- Portuguese: proposição, proposta
- Russian: предложе́ние
- Spanish: proposición
- Italian: proposizione logica
- Russian: утвержде́ние
proposition (propositions, present participle propositioning; past and past participle propositioned)
- (transitive, informal) To make a suggestion of sexual intercourse to (someone with whom one is not sexually involved).
- (transitive, informal) To make an offer or suggestion to (someone).