- IPA: /ɹɪˈfaɪn/
refine (refines, present participle refining; past and past participle refined)
- (transitive) To purify; reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; to free from impurities.
- to refine gold
- to refine iron
- to refine wine
- to refine sugar
- (intransitive) To become pure; to be cleared of impure matter.
- (transitive) To purify of coarseness, vulgarity, inelegance, etc.; to polish.
- to refine someone's manners
- to refine a language
- a refined style
- to refine one's tastes
- (ambitransitive) To improve in accuracy, delicacy, or excellence.
- (transitive) To make nice or subtle.
- to refine thought
- to refine someone's language
- Italian: purificare, raffinare, ripulire, sgrossare, lucidare
- Portuguese: refinar
- Russian: облагораживать
- Spanish: perfeccionar