- IPA: /ɹɪˈmɪsnɪs/
- The characteristic of being remiss
- Synonyms: carelessness, negligence, tardiness
- 1644, John Milton, Aeropagitica:
- Impunity and remissenes, for certain are the bane of a Commonwealth, but here the great art lyes to discern in what the law is to bid restraint and punishment, and in what things perswasion only is to work.
- 1842, Edgar Allan Poe, The Mystery of Marie Rogêt:
- I have copied them chiefly to show you the extreme remissness of the police, who, as far as I can understand from the Prefect, have not troubled themselves, in any respect, with an examination of the naval officer alluded to.