- IPA: /ɹɪˈplaɪ/
- (transitive, intransitive) To give a written or spoken response, especially to a question, request, accusation or criticism; to answer.
- (intransitive) Please reply to my letter.
- (transitive) "Sorry I'm late," replied the student.
- (transitive) He replied that he was not sure.
- (intransitive) To act or gesture in response.
- Joanne replied to Pete's insult with a slap to his face.
- (intransitive) To repeat something back; to echo.
- respond, answer, retort, answer back, react, rejoin, counter, return, revert, follow up, get back to
- French: répondre
- German: antworten, erwidern
- Italian: rispondere, replicare
- Portuguese: responder
- Russian: отвеча́ть
- Spanish: responder
reply (plural replies)
- A written or spoken response; part of a conversation.
- Something given in reply.
- A counterattack.
- (music) The answer of a figure.
- (US, legal) A document written by a party specifically replying to a responsive declaration and in some cases an answer.
- French: réponse
- German: Antwort, Entgegnung
- Italian: risposta, replica
- Portuguese: resposta
- Russian: отве́т
- Spanish: respuesta