- (America) IPA: [ɹi.ˈspɛk.tə.bl̩]
- Deserving respect.
- His accomplishments, morals, loyalty, and stature make him a respectable person.
- 1892, Walter Besant, chapter III, in The Ivory Gate: A Novel, New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers, […], OCLC 16832619 ↗:
- In former days every tavern of repute kept such a room for its own select circle, a club, or society, of habitués, who met every evening, for a pipe and a cheerful glass. In this way all respectable burgesses, down to fifty years ago, spent their evenings.
- Decent; satisfactory.
- Turn up to the interview wearing something respectable. She plays a respectable game of chess. He got a respectable B+ on his last exam.
- Moderately well-to-do.
- French: respectable
- German: angesehen, geachtet
- Portuguese: respeitável
- Russian: уважа́емый
- Spanish: respetable