- IPA: /ɹɪˈstɹeɪnt/
- (countable) something that restrains, ties, fastens or secures
- Make sure all the restraints are tight.
- (uncountable) control or caution; reserve
- Try to exercise restraint when talking to your boss.
- November 2 2014, Daniel Taylor, "Sergio Agüero strike wins derby for Manchester City against 10-man United ↗," guardian.co.uk
- City will feel nonplussed when they review the tape and Pellegrini had to summon all his restraint in the post-match interviews.
- French: contention to secure manipulation on animals
- German: Beschränkung, Zügelung, Einschränkung, Zwang, Befestigung, Zurückhaltung, Hemmung, Verbot, Hemmnis, Behinderung, Auflage, Verhinderung, Gebundenheit, Zwängung
- Italian: limitazione, ritegno, contegno, remora
- Portuguese: amarra
- Russian: ограниче́ние
- Spanish: restricción, limitación
- French: frein, retenue
- German: Zurückhaltung, Beherrschung, Kontrolle, Selbstbeherrschung
- Italian: ritegno, ritegni
- Russian: сде́ржанность
- Spanish: control, detención