robot (plural robots)
- A machine built to carry out some complex task or group of tasks by physically moving, especially one which can be programmed.
- Synonyms: Thesaurus:robot
- Hypernyms: automaton
- hypo en
- (chiefly, science fiction) An intelligent mechanical being designed to look like a human or other creature, and usually made from metal.
- (figuratively) A person who does not seem to have any emotions.
- (South Africa) A traffic light (from earlier robot policeman).
- (surveying) A theodolite which follows the movements of a prism and can be used by a one-man crew.
- (dance) A style of dance popular in disco in which the dancer imitates the stiff movements of a stereotypical android robot.