- (GA) IPA: /ˈɹoʊlɚˌkoʊstɚ/
rollercoaster (plural rollercoasters)
- An amusement ride consisting of a buggy on a track that rises, falls, twists and turns.
- (figurative, by extension) Any situation in which there are ups and downs, or violent changes.
- Our relationship was quite a rollercoaster. Finally, I had enough of it and left her.
- The stock market has been quite the rollercoaster in the last few weeks.
- (ride) big dipper, switchback, coaster, 🎢
- (situation in which there are violent changes) merry-go-round, ride, saga, seesaw, soap opera, stir, yo-yo
- French: montagnes russes (Russian mountains)
- German: Achterbahn
- Italian: montagne russe, otto volante, ottovolante
- Portuguese: montanha-russa (Russian mountain)
- Russian: америка́нские го́рки
- Spanish: montaña rusa (Russian mountain)