safe (comparative safer, superlative safest)
- Not in danger; out of harm's reach.
- You’ll be safe here.
- Free from risk.
- Synonyms: riskless, harmless
- Antonyms: harmful, dangerous
- It’s safe to eat this.
- Providing protection from danger; providing shelter.
- We have to find a safe spot, where we can hide out until this is over.
- (baseball) When a batter successfully reaches first base, or when a baserunner successfully advances to the next base or returns to the base he last occupied; not out.
- The pitcher attempted to pick off the runner at first, but he was safe.
- Properly secured.
- Synonyms: secure
- hypo en
- The documents are safe.
- (used after a noun, often, forming a compound) Not susceptible to a specified source of harm.
- (UK, slang) Great, cool, awesome, respectable; a term of approbation, often as interjection.
- Synonyms: wicked, cool, Thesaurus:awesome
- (slang) Lenient, usually describing a teacher that is easy-going.
- Synonyms: easy-going, merciful, tolerant, lenient
- Antonyms: strict, harsh, intolerant
- Reliable; trusty.
- Synonyms: trustworthy
- (programming) Of a programming language, type-safe or more generally offering well-defined behavior despite programming errors.
- French: en sécurité, (no longer in danger) sauf
- German: sicher, gefahrlos
- Italian: sicuro
- Portuguese: salvo, seguro, a salvo
- Russian: в безопасность
- Spanish: seguro, salvo
- French: sauf
- French: en sécurité, à l'abri, en lieu sûr
- German: sicher
- Portuguese: seguro, a salvo
- Russian: безопа́сный
safe (plural safes)
- A box, usually made of metal, in which valuables can be locked for safekeeping.
- (slang) A condom.
- (dated) A ventilated or refrigerated chest or closet for securing provisions from noxious animals or insects.
- (dated, colloquial) A safety bicycle.
- French: coffre-fort, coffre
- German: Tresor, Safe, Geldschrank
- Italian: cassaforte
- Portuguese: cofre
- Russian: сейф
- Spanish: caja fuerte, cofre
safe (safes, present participle safing; past and past participle safed)
- (transitive) To make something safe.
- better safe than sorry
- Coolgardie safe