scam (plural scams)
- A fraudulent deal.
- That marketing scheme looks like a scam to me.
- Something that is promoted using scams.
- That car was a scam.
- French: entourloupe, arnaque, escroquerie
- German: Vorschussbetrug, Trickdiebstahl, Trickbetrug
- Italian: scam, fregatura, truffa, imbroglio, raggiro, inciucio, tresca, intrallazzo, macchinazione, pastetta, bidone, bidonata
- Portuguese: golpe, calote
- Russian: афе́ра
- Spanish: estafa, timo (colloquial), engaño
scam (scams, present participle scamming; past and past participle scammed)
- (transitive) To defraud or embezzle.
- They tried to scam her out of her savings.
- French: entourlouper, arnaquer
- German: betrügen
- Italian: truffare, imbrogliare, raggirare, fregare
- Portuguese: aplicar um golpe, lograr
- Russian: обма́нывать
- Spanish: estafar, timar