scrutinize (scrutinizes, present participle scrutinizing; past and past participle scrutinized)
- (transitive) To examine something with great care or detail, as to look for hidden or obscure flaws.
- to scrutinize the conduct or motives of individuals
- whose votes they were obliged to scrutinize
- Those pronounced him youngest who scrutinized his face the closest.
- (transitive) To audit accounts etc in order to verify them.
- French: scruter
- German: gründlich prüfen, hinterfragen, gewissenhaft überprüfen, ergründen, zerlegen, zerpflücken
- Italian: esaminare, indagare
- Portuguese: escrutinizar
- Russian: тща́тельно проверя́ть
- Spanish: escrutar, examinar, escudriñar