- A skin disease.
- The flakes of skin that fall off as a result of a skin disease.
- Synonyms: dandruff
- Any crust-like formations on the skin, or in general.
- 1667, John Milton, “Book I ↗”, in Paradise Lost. A Poem Written in Ten Books, London: Printed [by Samuel Simmons], and are to be sold by Peter Parker […] [a]nd by Robert Boulter […] [a]nd Matthias Walker, […], OCLC 228722708 ↗; republished as Paradise Lost in Ten Books: The Text Exactly Reproduced from the First Edition of 1667: […], London: Basil Montagu Pickering […], 1873, OCLC 230729554 ↗, lines 670–673:
- There ſtood a Hill not far whoſe frieſly top / Belch'd fire and rowling ſmoak; the reſt entire / Shon with a gloſſie ſcurff, undoubted ſign / That in his womb was hid metallic Ore,
- (figurative) The foul remains of anything adherent.
- Synonyms: scum
- (botany) Minute membranous scales on the surface of some leaves, as in the goosefoot.
- Italian: crosta
scurf (plural scurfs)
- A grey bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus).