- Without humor or expression of happiness; grave in manner or disposition
- It was a surprise to see the captain, who had always seemed so serious, laugh so heartily.
- Synonyms: earnest, solemn
- Important; weighty; not insignificant
- This is a serious problem. We'll need our best experts.
- Really intending what is said; in earnest; not jocular or deceiving
- After all these years, we're finally getting serious attention.
- See also Thesaurus:serious
- French: sérieux
- German: ernst, ernsthaft, schwerwiegend
- Italian: serio, grave, critico
- Portuguese: sério
- Russian: серьёзный
- Spanish: serio
serious (not comparable)
- (colloquial, dialect) In a serious manner; seriously.