- (British, America) IPA: /sɪɡˈnɪfɪkəns/
- The extent to which something matters; importance
- As a juror your opinion is of great significance for the outcome of the trial.
- 1992, Rudolf M[athias] Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, New York, N.Y.: Columbia University Press, →ISBN, page 5:
- Of more significance in the nature of branch development; in the Jubulaceae, as in the Porellaceae, branches are acroscopic and normally replace a ventral leaf lobe.
- the significance of a gesture
- French: importance (1), signification (2)
- German: Bedeutung, Signifikanz (1)
- Italian: significanza, significatività
- Portuguese: significância
- Russian: значе́ние
- Spanish: significado, significación, calado