spectre (plural spectres)
- Britain standard spelling of specter#English|specter.
- The spectre is a ghost of a decapitated young man.
- 1848, Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, The Communist Manifesto
- A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of communism. All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Pope and Tsar, Metternich and Guizot, French Radicals and German police-spies.
- 1849, Charlotte Brontë, Shirley
- To this extenuated spectre, perhaps, a crumb is not thrown once a year, but when ahungered and athirst to famine—when all humanity has forgotten the dying tenant of a decaying house—Divine Mercy remembers the mourner […]