sprocket (plural sprockets)
- (mechanical engineering) A toothed wheel that enmeshes with a chain or other perforated band.
- (usually, in the plural) The tooth of such a wheel.
- (architecture) A flared extension at the base of a sloped roof.
- A placeholder name for an unnamed, unspecified, or hypothetical manufactured good or product.
- Suppose we have a widget factory that produces 100 widgets per year, and a sprocket factory that produces 200 sprockets per year.
- Synonyms: widget
- French: pignon
- German: Kettenrad, Ritzel
- Italian: rocchetto, pignone, ruota dentata, puleggia dentata
- Russian: цепно́е колесо́
- Spanish: piñón, corona