starter (plural starters)
- Someone who starts something.
- a starter on a journey
- Something that starts something.
- It's small, but it's a good starter house.
- The first course of a meal, consisting of a small, usually savoury, dish.
- Synonyms: entrée, hors d'oeuvre, appetizer
- cot en
- (team sports) A player in the lineup of players that a team fields at the beginning of a game.
- A dog that rouses game.
- (historical, British) A short length of rope formerly used for casual chastisement in the Navy.
- (rail) A railway signal controlling the starting of trains from a station or some other location, more fully called a starter signal or starting signal.
- French: starter
- German: Anlasser, Starter
- Portuguese: partida
- Russian: ста́ртер
- Spanish: estárter, cebador (Argentina)
- French: hors d'œuvre, entrée
- German: Vorspeise, Vorgericht
- Italian: antipasto
- Portuguese: entradas
- Russian: пе́рвое блю́до
- Spanish: entrada, entrante