- IPA: /ˈstɪŋˌɹeɪ/
stingray (plural stingrays)
- Any of various large, venomous rays, of the orders Rajiformes and Myliobatiformes, having a barbed, whiplike tail.
- Synonyms: stingaree
- (US law enforcement) A device that simulates a cell tower, used to intercept cell phone communications.
- Synonyms: IMSI catcher
- 2014, Catherine Nolan, Ashley M. Wilson, JD, The Audacity to Spy: How Government, Business, and Hackers Rob Us of Privacy, Technics Publications (ISBN 9781634620604), page 74 ↗:
- The device mimics a cell phone tower and gets the phone to connect to it. […] Once a signal is found, the stingray measures its strength and can provide a general location on the map.
- French: raie à aiguillon, pastenague
- German: Stachelrochen
- Italian: razza, pastinaca
- Portuguese: arraia/raia venenosa
- Russian: хвостоко́л
- Spanish: pastinaca