- IPA: /stɹɛs/
- (biology) A physical, chemical, infective agent aggressing an organism.
- (biology) Aggression toward an organism resulting in a response in an attempt to restore previous conditions.
- (countable, physics) The internal distribution of force across a small boundary per unit area of that boundary (pressure) within a body. It causes strain or deformation and is typically symbolised by σ or τ.
- (countable, physics) Force externally applied to a body which cause internal stress within the body.
- (uncountable) Emotional pressure suffered by a human being or other animal.
- Go easy on him, he's been under a lot of stress lately.
- (uncountable, phonetics) The emphasis placed on a syllable of a word.
- Some people put the stress on the first syllable of “controversy”; others put it on the second.
- (uncountable) Emphasis placed on words in speaking.
- (uncountable) Emphasis placed on a particular point in an argument or discussion (whether spoken or written).
- Obsolete form of distress#English|distress.
- (Scotland, legal) distress; the act of distraining; also, the thing distrained.
- French: tension, contrainte
- German: Spannung
- Italian: tensione
- Portuguese: tensão
- Russian: напряже́ние
- Spanish: tensión
- French: stress
- German: Stress
- Italian: stress, pressione
- Portuguese: estresse
- Russian: напряже́ние
- Spanish: estrés
- French: accent
- German: Betonung
- Italian: accento
- Portuguese: ênfase
- Russian: акце́нт
- Spanish: acento, énfasis
stress (stresses, present participle stressing; past and past participle stressed)
- To apply force to (a body or structure) causing strain.
- To apply emotional pressure to (a person or animal).
- (informal) To suffer stress; to worry or be agitated.
- To emphasise (a syllable of a word).
- “Emphasis” is stressed on the first syllable, but “emphatic” is stressed on the second.
- To emphasise (words in speaking).
- To emphasise (a point) in an argument or discussion.
- I must stress that this information is given in strict confidence.
- (phonetics) emphasise/emphasize
- (on words in speaking) emphasise/emphasize
- (on a point) emphasise/emphasize, underline
- French: souligner
- German: betonen
- Italian: enfatizzare, insistere
- Portuguese: enfatizar
- Spanish: enfatizar, recalcar