- (British, America) IPA: /ˈsʌbˌweɪ/, [ˈsʌbˌweɪ̯]
subway (plural subways)
- (North America, Scotland) An underground railway, especially for mass transit of people in urban areas. topics en
- A train that runs on such an underground railway.
- (US) A rapid transit system, regardless of the elevation of its right of way.
- (British) An underground walkway, tunnel for pedestrians (called pedestrian underpass in US).
- An underground route for pipes, sewers, etc.
- French: métro, métropolitain
- German: U-Bahn, Metro, Untergrundbahn
- Italian: metrò, metropolitana
- Portuguese: metro (Portugal), metrô (Brazil)
- Russian: метро́
- Spanish: metro, subte (Argentina)
- German: Unterführung
- Portuguese: passagem subterrânea
- Russian: подзе́мный перехо́д
- Spanish: paso subterráneo
subway (subways, present participle subwaying; past and past participle subwayed)
- (intransitive, US, informal) To travel by underground railway.