- IPA: /ˈsʌ.mənz/
summons (plural summonses)
- A call to do something, especially to come.
- special summonses by the king
- this summons […] unfit either to dispute or disobey
- He sent to summon the seditious, and to offer pardon; but neither summons nor pardon was regarded.
- (legal) A notice summoning someone to appear in court, as a defendant, juror or witness.
- (military) A demand for surrender.
- French: convocation
- German: Aufforderung
- Italian: convocazione, adunanza
- Portuguese: convocação
- Russian: вы́зов
- Spanish: convocatoria
- French: citation à comparaître
- German: Vorladung
- Italian: citazione
- Portuguese: intimação
- Russian: пове́стка
- Spanish: citación
summons (summonses, present participle summonsing; past and past participle summonsed)
- (transitive) To serve someone with a summons. [17th C.]
- third-person singular form of summon