- Any plant of the genus Helianthus, so called probably from the form and color of its floral head, having the form of a large disk surrounded by yellow ray flowers.
- The commonly cultivated species, Helianthus annuus, a native of America.
- A bright yellow, like that of the flower petals.
- (informal, organic chemistry) Any flat, radially symmetric organic compound such as coronene
- French: tournesol
- German: Sonnenblume
- Italian: girasole
- Portuguese: girassol, helianto, heliotrópio, tornassol
- Russian: подсо́лнечник
- Spanish: girasol, maravilla, tornasol, mirasol
- Russian: ора́нжевый