- (America) IPA: /sɚˈpæs/
surpass (surpasses, present participle surpassing; past and past participle surpassed)
- (transitive) To go beyond, especially in a metaphoric or technical manner; to exceed.
- The former problem student surpassed his instructor's expectations and scored top marks on his examination.
- ''The heavy rains threatened to surpass the capabilities of the levee, endangering the town on the other side.
- (to go beyond) exceed, forpass, transcend; see also Thesaurus:transcend
- (in a metaphoric or technical manner) exceed, excel, outdo, outstrip; see also Thesaurus:exceed
- French: surpasser, dépasser, excéder
- German: übersteigen, übertreffen
- Italian: sorpassare
- Portuguese: ultrapassar, superar, suplantar, sobrepassar
- Russian: превосходи́ть
- Spanish: sobrepasar, superar, pasar